What Would Buddy Do?
In retrospect, maybe Andy wasn’t actually talking about Lito
Posted on May 10th, 2008 at 12:54 pm by Cheesesteak Hoagie

Hmm, sure was a fair amount of hemmin’ and/ or hawin’ amongst the local blathermonkeys in re: a slightly snippy remark from Andy Reid in his Monday press conference. I hadn’t seen the clip until after I read the “stories” about it, and I think we can safely conclude that this wasn’t exactly a meltdown. More a gentle (and barely snide) suggestion that the blathermonkeys ixnay on the itolay.

But after the Garrett Reid news that surfaced in the 48 hours after Reid’s press conference, one might imagine that Andy wasn’t in a completely awesome mood that afternoon. That is, he knew that he was going to court the next day so that his oldest son could plead guilty to smuggling 89 pills into prison (via his rectum, we presume). Not exactly the sort of thing that puts one in a good mood.

We’ll give Les Bowen some credit and agree with him that the blathertariat have been pretty polite about the Reid kids (though we enjoyed Bowen’s apparent bitterness that Reid had rebuffed the beat writers on two occasions in re: the drama with the kids, going over their collective balding heads to Philadelphia magazine and the New York Times). Still, we’ve got imagine that Big Red was pretty preoccupied this week; maybe we can retroactively grant him a pass on the alleged snippiness.

Also, Mark Eckel’s column was awful. Just wanted to sneak that in at the end. Really bad.

Comments so far:

Link Here | May 12, 2008,

Its amusing to see the hate coming from you and the rest of the Little Spadaros towards Eckel.

Comment by Mike

Link Here | May 12, 2008,

Little Spadaros! Nice.

I usually enjoy the Eckel columns, but that one was just crap. A bunch of name-calling and sarcasm just cause Andy Reid DARED to finally react to the relentless baiting? It was just way too obvious that it was actually personal for Eckel.

And this is why we call them blathermonkeys.

Comment by hoagie |

Link Here | May 13, 2008,

You have a really low bar for what constitutes relentless baiting. This team is treated with kid gloves by the local media.

Comment by Mike

Link Here | May 13, 2008,

You’re kidding, right? Do you watch the press conferences or listen to the radio? What am I missing here?

No NFL city is as tough on their team as Philly is on the Birds, especially in the media. I don’t even think that this is a matter of opinion at this point. What city is tougher? New York (almost, but the baseball stuff is worse)? Boston (”Umm, Coach Belichik, can you just tell us what it’s like being so smart?”)? Chicago (at least they have a reason to be pissed at their QB in Chicago)?

I think the only comparable scenarios are the way they treat the Yankees (and the out-of-favor stars, like an A-Rod) in New York. The only exception has been the way they’ve dealt with the Reid kids (which is the sort of thing that the NY tabloids would have feasted on for months).

I’d hate to see what the adult gloves look like!

(And of course I’ll acknowledge that without the local media, I’d have no reason to blog….)

Comment by Hoagie |

Link Here | May 13, 2008,

Do you watch any of the other teams press conferences? Do you really wanna compare Reid to Cheeks, Stevens or Manuel? Because if you do you know Reid comes up small in the info dept but realy high in smugness and arrogance. Is it time to put John Smallwood on the Eckel List for his column? When you ask about radio do you mean Cataldi? I’ll stipulate that hes a jackass if you stipulate that the PR firm of Eskin&Ego balance him out at 3pm. As far as ohter cities treatment of their teams vs. our? I cant speak to it, Ive never lived anywhere else. If you set yourself up as the Gold Standard and dont deliver the utlimate prize, should you be immune from criticism? I dont see us agreeing on this one, I still think they are treated with kid gloves especially in regard to his kids.

I always thought a sports media crit blog would be a great idea. I listen to WIP enough to get a ton of great material. That depends on your personal political views of course.

Comment by Mike

Link Here | May 13, 2008,

I liked the Smallwood column. It’s rare that we actually get meta-criticism from the local guys, and I thought he was very even with it. My issue with the Eckel column was that it was so obviously personal and in response to a _minor_ slight from Reid.

I watch all the Reid pressers (sad, I know), and I don’t get the arrogance. Belichick is arrogant with all the glares and one-word answers. Reid just looks uncomfortable up there, but I wouldn’t say he’s a rude or condescending guy. I just think he genuinely believes it’s in his best interests to say as little as possible (which I can’t disagree with).

The best Iggles coach for the press conferences (if you’re looking) is Jim Johnson, who just seems like he’s too old to give a f*ck about what anyone thinks. He’ll actually tell you who he thinks stunk that week.

Oh, and sorry about the delays with the comments — I had to institute some pretty aggressive anti-spam measures in the past couple weeks. Didn’t want to do it, but the robots forced my hand.

And, of course, thanks for reading. Let’s go Flyers.

Comment by hoagie |

Link Here | May 13, 2008,

Okay, we’re just gonna disagree on the arrogance. Theres a difference btwn Reid and the other 3 coaches thats obvious to see. And none of them will single out anyone by name.

This is also a pet peeve of mine, the Belichick comparisons. Its not just you though its the whole damn organization. Belickick and the Pats have 3 Super Bowl wins and the Eagles have none. That kind of success buys you alot of looking the other way at shitty behavior. The Eagles give you the shit without the SB win(s).

Comment by Mike

RSS feed for comments on this post.
TrackBack URI

Share your thoughts

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <code> <em> <i> <strike> <strong>

(required)

(required)

Sign up at Gravatar.com to personalize your comments!