What Would Buddy Do?
What’s all this about The Dread High Ankle Sprain?
Posted on November 19th, 2008 at 11:20 am by Cheesesteak Hoagie

Oh man, that Occam’s razor is a b*tch.

Amidst a week of Andy-and-Donovan-must-go, the most shocking news I’ve heard is the revelation that Brian Westbrook is more banged up than we may have thought. Whether it’s in pieces like this one or on Brian’s weekly radio show, it’s pretty evident that the Eagles’ erstwhile best player is hurting — and that he isn’t likely to get better any time soon.

There has even been mention of — gasp! — the Dread High Ankle Sprain, which we all know to be among the most mysterious and crippling of the football injuries.

A couple things here:

1. We’re not allowed to be shocked that the Eagles aren’t exceptional running the ball if the two guys who made the Pro Bowl last year — and who are pretty important in the running-the-ball thing — are missing or very banged up. This is the simplest answer. We are allowed to be shocked at the coach’s reaction to those events and his lack of a back-up plan. Even if you’re not exceptional, you still need to be effective.

2. I’m feeling exceptionally horrible for even suggesting the following a month ago, though it looks like it might be pretty true:

“Brian Westbrook never really gets healthy and rushes for fewer than 900 yards on the season (he’s at 194 after six games, so I’m saying he doesn’t break 70 yards/ game over the remaining ten).”

Yeah. Let’s not think about that too too much.

In other news, Dunavin faces the blathermonkeys shortly. I hope he has a plan for explaining away the tie thing. And I hope it has multiple references to being “ambushed” by “gotcha” questions from the “liberal elite.” Don’t ever let them see you sweat, big fella!

Comments so far:

Link Here | November 19, 2008,

By putting the scare quotes around “liberal elite”, are you suggesting that the Philadelphia sports media isnt overwhelming liberal? I’ll grant the elite part is deserving.

Comment by Next Eagles Fullback

Link Here | November 19, 2008,

Yeah, I have no idea if the Philly sports media is liberal.

Like when I made the Sarah Palin = McNabb joke the other day.

(I guess it wasn’t a very good joke….)

Comment by The Bounty |

Link Here | November 19, 2008,

“Yeah, I have no idea if the Philly sports media is liberal.”

You dont live in the Delaware Valley? Seriously, you must never isten to WIP.

“It was more a reference to the Sarah Palin spin when she was exposed for also not knowing basic facts about her world.”

Like Barry “57 States” Obama?

“(I guess it wasn’t a very good joke….)”

Well…..

Comment by Next Eagles Fullback

Link Here | November 19, 2008,

I don’t live in Philly, but I do listen to WIP. (AND HOW SAD IS THAT???)

But I certainly don’t care about the political leanings of the sports section. I’d assume that most vote Democrat (since most folks in the media do), but if I had to guess, I would say that the sports section is probably the part of a major-city daily where you’re most likely to find a GOP voter.

Anyhoo.

(I don’t actually think it was a bad joke.)

Comment by The Bounty |

Link Here | November 19, 2008,

“I don’t live in Philly, but I do listen to WIP. (AND HOW SAD IS THAT???)”

I listen to WIP alot. I cant throw any stones on that point.

“But I certainly don’t care about the political leanings of the sports section”

I wouldnt either except that the relentlessly partisan cant seem to shut up about it.

” I would say that the sports section is probably the part of a major-city daily where you’re most likely to find a GOP voter.”

Thats the second time Ive heard that statement. There isnt much evidence to suport it. Outside of Gary Cobb, a part-timer and the disappeared Don McKee most of WIP is somewhere to the left of Trotsky. Why do you think there’s this hidden cadre of GOP votes in the sports section?

Comment by Next Eagles Fullback

Link Here | November 20, 2008,

Bounty —

1. The “blathermonkeys” were ravenous yesterday. Like sharks with blood in the water.

2. Reading your conversation here I had to chuckle. No matter how well-intentioned, if you reference anything political there’s always someone who will argue! (no offense, Next Eagles Fullback, you seem like a reasonable fellow).

Comment by BFH |

RSS feed for comments on this post.
TrackBack URI

Share your thoughts

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <code> <em> <i> <strike> <strong>

(required)

(required)

Sign up at Gravatar.com to personalize your comments!