Posted on January 2nd, 2009 at 11:05 am by Cheesesteak Hoagie
In case you missed it, PE.com just posted this extremely cool NFL Films feature on Brian Dawkins. Certainly it’s been a pretty good week for Dawkins, who forced two fumbles in the Dallas beatdown and was then named NFC Defensive Player of the Month. And it’d be tough to find anyone who’s even remotely fond of the Eagles who doesn’t appreciate Dawkins’ role in the Eagles’ late-season renaissance; I can’t imagine there’s another Eagles player who’s ever been as universally adored by the fanbase.
So yeah, we all think Dawkins is great, and we’ve thought that for a long time.
Of course, that doesn’t mean we can’t still learn interesting things about Dawkins, and NFL Football in general. They do the Weapon-X stuff, but we’d seen all of that before. And while the video looked about a year old, it didn’t look familiar, and I certainly learned the following:
1. Brian Dawkins does not swear on the field. No curse words. Something to do with his definition of a “righteous man.” He still “speaks aggressively” to the other players, sure, but he does it the old-fashioned way. Turns out you can threaten people without dropping F-bombs.
2. Brian Dawkins prefers a special silver-and-green Breathe Right strip across his nose (love that Dawk still believes in the silver). Also, he’s not above oiling his biceps.
3. The Texans game from 2002 where Dawkins intercepted a pass, recovered a fumble, got a sack, and caught at TD pass is apparently called the “quadrafecta.” I did not know that (despite having been at said game).
4. Brian Dawkins speaks in tongues at times when he’s on the field. Umm, we’re leaving that alone.
5. They had Dawk miked up for the first Redskins game last year (2007) when he suffered a neck injury. Things I wish I could unhear include the sound of Brian Dawkins whimpering in pain on the ground, unable to move. Don’t say I didn’t warn you. Made it a little too real.
Otherwise, this is great stuff. Definitely give it a look.
- My my, the king is generous today
- Eagles - Steelers Preview: Ed Rendell looking to rebound
- Brian Dawkins likes to play Pretend, arrange dolls
- Season in Review: Top Five Eagles games of the 2008 season (now with extra hindsight bias)
- Dunavin and Dawk display prudent judgment, dislike Giants